Our Fair Trade Policies & "Code of Conduct"
2007 brought an explosion of press about social, economic and environmental responsibility around the world. More of us are opening our eyes to environmental destruction, socioeconomic inequality, and the exploitation of workers in underdeveloped countries. It can seem overwhelming; one person can only do so much. But it's easier than you might think to vote with your dollars and act on the fact that you're conscious of the impact your purchases have on the lives of other people.
We built our business with all of our partners based on trust, teamwork, honesty and mutual respect. We expect all of our business partners to operate on the same principles. At the core of the YoVedic.com ethic is the belief that we are a company comprised of many different kinds of people, appreciating individual diversity, and dedicated to equal opportunity for each individual.
YoVedic.com markets products for health, wellness and fitness consumers. At every step in that process, we are driven to do not only what is required by law, but what is expected of a leader. We expect our business partners to do the same. YoVedic.com partners with contractors who share our commitment to best practices and continuous improvement in:
- Management practices that respect the rights of all employees, including the right to free association and collective bargaining.
- Minimizing our impact on the environment.
- Providing a safe and healthy work place.
- Promoting the health and well-being of all employees.
Contractors must recognize the dignity of each employee, and the right to a work place free of harassment, abuse or corporal punishment. Decisions on hiring, salary, benefits, advancement, termination or retirement must be based solely on the employee's ability to do the job. There shall be no discrimination based on race, creed, gender, marital or maternity status, religious or political beliefs, age or sexual orientation.
While these principles establish the spirit of our partnerships, we also bind our partners to specific standards of conduct (''Code of Conduct''). The core standards are set forth below.
- Forced Labor: The contractor does not use forced labor in any form -- prison, indentured, bonded or otherwise.
- Child Labor: The contractor does not employ any person below the age of 18 to produce our products. The contractor does not employ any person below the age of 16 to produce apparel, accessories or equipment. To further ensure these age standards are complied with, the contractor does not use any form of homework for YoVedic.com production.
- Compensation: The contractor provides each employee at least the minimum wage, or the prevailing industry wage, whichever is higher; provides each employee a clear, written accounting for every pay period; and does not deduct from employee pay for disciplinary infractions.
- Benefits: The contractor provides each employee all legally mandated benefits.
- Hours of Work/Overtime: The contractor complies with legally mandated work hours; uses overtime only when each employee is fully compensated according to local law; informs each employee at the time of hiring if mandatory overtime is a condition of employment; and on a regularly scheduled basis provides one day off in seven, and requires no more than 60 hours of work per week on a regularly scheduled basis, or complies with local limits if they are lower.
- Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H): The contractor has written environmental, safety and health policies and standards, and implements a system to minimize negative impacts on the environment, reduce work-related injury and illness, and promote the general health of employees.
- Documentation and Inspection: The contractor maintains on file all documentation needed to demonstrate compliance with this Code of Conduct and required laws; agrees to make these documents available for YoVedic.com or its designated monitor; and agrees to submit to inspections with or without prior notice.